Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Part I: Born in the USA


Over  Memorial Day weekend, we spent time with our family and had a wonderful picnic reunion with my fathers side of the family. While driving home on the interstate, we noticed up ahead on top of an overpass there was a man waving an American Flag. As we approached him, he could not be mistaken for anything else than a very happy, proud, veteran as this 70ish year old man was decorated in his uniform and medals and waving the flag with all his might with a smile you could see for miles! We honked and waved as we drove underneath him and a couple miles down the road further we encountered a friend of his at the next overpass doing the same thing...taking pride in his country and honoring those who have served and died for our freedom.
 


As I waved and Tom honked once again, I was overcome with emotions. Overcome because it wasn't until this past year that I realized what a true blessing and privilege it was to be born into this country...and I did absolutely NOTHING to deserve it. Granted, I have always been thankful as I live in a country where I have so many opportunities, I have access to wonderful medical care, I can openly express my views, opinions, and practice my faith, I can go to a store and purchase any food item I desire, I have CLEAN water at the turn of a faucet, I get a free public education, I feel safe and secure, and so much more. What's more...if I can't afford some of these things on my own, the government is there to assist me! The country we live in is truly amazing!

 I wasn't blind to the rest of the world having my eyes open through not only basic knowledge of happenings around the world (we've all seen the news) but also going with my own two feet and serving in the impoverished villages of Ethiopia...which was completely life changing. But this year, on top of the things I already know about how privileged we are as Americans in comparison to the MAJORITY of the world around us, I have been witness to just how difficult it is to even come to the USA to visit, much less to immigrate..if you are not born here. Did you know that because we are Americans, the world is our playground? We can go anywhere..and come back as we please. That is not true for the majority of the world around us. A dear friend of mine was denied a visa to visit the USA for his sisters wedding, numerous families and children wait in long lines at US embassies all over the world praying and hoping to have a chance at a visa to visit or join their families and are denied CONSTANTLY.

Last July, we experienced this first hand when we applied for a student visa for Hope. It was the first time I had been on the "other side of the tracks"...advocating for a daughter that was not born into my family but is my daughter never the less. At that time we thought adoption was no longer an option for her and we thought this was the only way we could still provide for her here in the USA and bring her home into our family. There was no reason to deny this child who had crossed all her T's and dotted all her I's showing the USA proof that she would be provided for and had the opportunity for an education she would never receive otherwise...yet, even she was denied.


Through this experience, I came across countless other families who had opened their hearts, homes, and lives to bring children into the USA for the same reason and had also been denied. My heart breaks at this injustice. Why should I...or my biological children, have all of these opportunities at our fingertips and other children do not..just because of where they were born? Why did God choose me to be born into this country? What does that mean?

So, as Memorial Day passes and the 4th of July approaches, and we wave our flags, enjoy cookouts with our friends and family, and sing the Star-Spangled Banner watching the amazing fireworks displays all over the country, I hope you truly think about where you live, what you have been given, and what you can be doing with this privilege you've been blessed with that you do not deserve more than any other human being on this planet. Think about it...


Luke 12:48 tells us "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." 

Friends, we have been given "much", we have been entrusted with "much" so much more is demanded and asked of us as followers of Jesus. My prayer for you is to not just be thankful for the much you have been entrusted with, but that you will find a way to use it to further the Kingdom. Nothing that we have is ours anyway, so let's use it for the Glory of the One who truly deserves it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment